Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Pinstripes & Ugandans

Monday October 10, 2005
11:45 am

I am seated outside the Ministry of Education and Sports, in my pink shirt, power tie and the one pinstriped suit I own, waiting for my driver to pick me up when I begin to notice a most interesting phenomenon.

I’m seated right before the secutity scanner so everyone who’s walking into the ministry building has to walk right past me. For some reason I couldn’t be bothered to begin to fathom, a lot of the younger just-got-off-the-bus looking types sort of do a double take when they get to me, glance once at my cameraman seated next to me and then back at me as I bore holes into them through my fashionably rimless spectacles, counting down to the moment when they will go like… “Good afternoon Sir!” Oh for laughing out loud!

I’m trying to squeeze myself into these people’s minds and I can begin to appreciate how a guy seating outside the Ministry of Education and Sports in a flashy suit, with an assistant to boot, might be enough of a threat or whatever to you that in your uncertainty you decide to do the right thing and greet them, I mean, they just might be the guy in charge of registering you as a vocational institution student or (my preferred choice) an upwardly mobile deputy Headmaster who’ll be in charge of his own school in the not-too-distant future and we wouldn’t want to be remembered as the uncultured cretin that we really are, for not greeting them.

That’s a Ugandan for you. Show yourself to be weak and they will gladly traipse all over you. However make a show of strength and boy, do they fall in line to lick your boots! It might be amusing if it was not just so plain sad.

2 Comments:

Blogger The 0ne said...

Pinkstripe...Pink Shirt?!! Who the heck are you auditoning to be,thatguy on East Africa TV...no wait,he ain't there no more...man!!Tight!!

Tue Oct 11, 12:39:00 pm  
Blogger baz said...

An assitant, a driver and a cameraman. And he didn't just get off the bus. And he may be auditioning for EATV. This is J.Kazoora's blog.

Tue Oct 11, 02:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home