Friday, February 03, 2006

Aunt Berna

Aunt Berna (dette) died this morning.

She was the one person that we all run to when we needed help, love, affirmation or just a generous portion of ebitakuri ne'bishimbo. With busheera porridge. She was also the best disciplinarian I knew. A few frowns and you knew you had crossed the line so you made appropriate restitution.

The last two weeks have been ghastly for my family. My cousin Jennifer, my Uncle Moses and now Aunt Berna have all passed on. Jenny, silly girl that she was, was trying to flush a four month old pregnancy - aided and abetted by her mum I might add, we will not hear the end of this I can assure you - Moses, well he quit alcohol not too long ago and then because I guess he had done it wakina cold turkey the complications kicked in and he ... died. So last weekend we were burying in the plains of Busoga, this one we’ll be doing the same in the hills of Kisoro.

Once again, we're going to troop into the cars and in procession enter Kisoro to go through the rituals of mass, celebrating her life and laying her in the ground. I think I’ll take a bus though, I don't really fancy the thought of having to share my memories of her with a carload of people. We're meeting tonight at Uncle Steven's house to sort the details.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Must have been a teribble 2 weeks indeed. may their souls rest in peace.

Fri Feb 10, 02:43:00 pm  
Blogger Iwaya said...

I second that. death seems to be stalking the land these days.

Sun Feb 12, 10:13:00 pm  
Blogger Shiroh said...

First time on your blog, i am really sorry for the untimely deaths.

Thu Feb 16, 12:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home