Friday, February 24, 2006

I Met a Thief

On the beach, on the Coast,
Under the idle, whispering coconut towers,
Before the growling, foaming waves,
I met a thief, who guessed I had
An innocent heart for her to steal.

She took my hand and led me under
The intimate cashew boughs which shaded
The downy grass and peeping weeds.
She jumped and plucked the nuts for me to suck;
She sang and laughed and pressed close

I gazed: her hair was like the wool of a mountain sheep,
Her eyes, a pair of brown - black beans floating in milk.
Juicy and round as plantain shoots
Her legs, arms and neck,
And like wine - gourds her pillowy breasts;
Her throat uttered fresh banana juice
Matching her face - smooth and banana ripe

I touched - but long before I even tasted
My heart had flowed from me into her breast;
And then she went – High and South –
And left my carcase roasting in the fire she’d lit

Austin Bukenya.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carlo said...

ooooohhhh, how sweet! you're a sappy little macho wanna be aren't you? don't worry, we all get those days when we just want to be . . . um, . . . how you say . . . in love?!

Sat Feb 25, 03:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite poem in the last 15 years. Keep it up Bukenya, we want to read more from you!

Tue Mar 24, 09:47:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous...............

I remember this one!!!!! read and analysed it back in the days. it reminds me of a very special person in my life!!!

Mon Oct 05, 04:28:00 pm  
Blogger Anonymous said...

my favourite Poem together with building the nation, for 20 years

Sun Dec 04, 08:15:00 pm  
Blogger fred kembero said...

big up bukenya..ur my favourite poet





Wed May 03, 08:51:00 pm  
Blogger kaumbuthu kamondo said...

Big up

Sat Jun 10, 06:54:00 pm  
Blogger julius ndurya said...

my favourite poem in high school. big up bukenya

Fri Aug 18, 03:48:00 pm  
Blogger Lightness Isojick said...

I have read tones poems many of them I cant remember the title but this one is what repeatedly read, I think it stole my mind and never left my soul roast on fire. Bukenya just know that you inspire many like me.This is a master piece of African poems to be proud.

Sat Sep 30, 01:21:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home