Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Reminiscing

There’s no such thing as a no good man, every no good man was made that way by a no good woman. I am talking about my ex. The most recent of them. Our breakup, even though it was played out in slow motion, was particularly poignant because I believed in a way I had not believed for like 2 years that she was the One. The One I’d introduce to my mum so mummy dearest would stop asking me about J with whom she speaks on the phone probably more often than she does with me.

Well, she did turn out to be the One; the one who “made” me throw all caution to the wind and get rid of all pretensions at being a Christian goody 2 shoes. Opened my eyes so wide to the real ways of the world. Lost me my innocence. I thank her every time I see her. With a great big Cheshire cat grin on my face.

You know how when you make a life with someone you end up with pieces of them and keepsakes and whatnot lying around. Last October, we went to the launch of the Brand Uganda campaign together and got these gift bags that contained a sachet of Rugasira’s Arabica coffee – real good stuff by the way. We finished my pack a long time ago and hers had been sitting on a shelf in my bookcase gathering dust since October.

After the breakup….mmmph…sometime in I think January… she kept dropping by, ostensibly to pick up a sweater or jacket or shoes or the Andy Warhol I had done of her, y’know, like that. The last time she came by, I asked her to take the coffee and she asked if I was getting rid of all reason for her to drop by. I didn’t know it then but yes I was.

Last Sunday morning, I’d run out of coffee and didn’t feel like doing tea so I thought about it for all of 5 minutes and went to unwrap her pack of coffee. At the end of the day, it was only a pack of coffee albeit very good coffee and not the last tangible thread connecting her to me.

Anyone for a mug?

On the Speakerboxx: Ndihamba Nawe; Mafikizolo
Trapped in the Closet; Robert Kelly

3 Comments:

Blogger The 0ne said...

Dude,that's asking for too much...you pull at our heart strings and all you offer is...COFFEE??

Tue May 23, 10:20:00 pm  
Blogger savage said...

I didn't know Black people were that into coffee.

Wed May 24, 06:47:00 am  
Blogger Iwaya said...

Coffee BE THA GOD!!! Right after my ...wait...not ready to reveal my backpack secret...whatabout africafe coffee?

man, u waited till january, dude!!

Wed May 24, 11:27:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home