Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What's Your Story?

The story maketh the man: 50 Cent

I like Curtis Jackson.
There I said it. I am not shamed to do so. Even though a snobbish purist like me should be. Nay, I say so because last Friday night, I watched the video version of what I would like to believe is his life; Get Rich or Die Trying. Thank God, the Syriana DVD froze. Well actually, thank Toby, my Playstation. They will occasionally do that to you. Toby is so attuned to the violent gun battle choked games I spend hours playing with him that he just jammed when I decided to play a disc in which there wasn’t an explosion or gunshot for all of the first 5 minutes. Thank you, mate.

I really hope the movie is based on Curtis’ life, even loosely.
Because I responded to his story. I felt his shit. However lame the movie is, afterall it is no John Singleton, Ang Lee, Peter Jackson, Lee Tamahori, John Woo, Quentin Tarantino project, it still is a compelling story. And it had Terence Howard in it. For a movie big on dominant male players, it derives its mojo from the heroines of Curtis’ life. His Grandma, his Ma and his Wife. Without any or all of these, his character as Young Caesar would never have made it onto stage at the end, sans the Kevlar vest. Dude spend s his life looking for a father figure only for him, to discover right before he goes onstage – looking into a mirror, conveniently after his manager smokes the dude who killed his Ma, that he’s been looking for himself.

My mum’s always worrying about the kids she sees who’re pissing their lives away on crack and gangbanging and shit. And I say to her, “Raise up a child in the way of the Light and though he/she shall grow up to be a wiseass nappy headed “entrepreneur” – Joe that’s you, they shall never depart from it”. So she knows she done a stellar job with the siblings. That’s what Curtis’ mum and Grandma did for him. Taught the boy what was important in life, the rest being only pit stops on the Road to Damascus. He learnt well, he did. And now 50 Cent has me for a fan.

On Tha SpeakerBox: Photograph; Nickelback

6 Comments:

Blogger savage said...

Good luck with that whole 50 cent fan thingy.

Tue May 02, 06:48:00 pm  
Blogger savage said...

And also,Thank goodness for pirates.
That Syriana DVD is not scheduled to be officially available till June 20th.
Perhaps it just froze in protest.Try it again after June 20th.

Tue May 02, 08:02:00 pm  
Blogger Jay said...

Get rich or die trying is one of those movies i make a mental note give as wide a berth as possible.

I don't think i can bear to go through 90+ minutes of 50 cents acting. I barely tolerate his music.

Wed May 03, 12:47:00 pm  
Blogger Degstar said...

oh,
i was viewing a bootleg?
that figures,
i agree entirely, if 50 was acting for foodstamps, nigga'd die of starvation!
i liked the storo behind the wooden acting though.

Wed May 03, 01:13:00 pm  
Blogger ish said...

i ALMOST watched that junk, but it was either that or Transporter 2, no contest! but this has inspired me to go try to rent it again

Thu May 04, 02:31:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw his movie and I believed it but not because I'm a fan or anything but to say that nobody can't prove that it didn't happen.

Sat Dec 16, 04:13:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home