Tuesday, August 08, 2006

U Studied Where?

They say u should not judge people by their external appearance and I don’t. They also say you do not know people’s backgrounds so u should not make assumptions about their homes so I don’t. But when they say u should not judge people by their primary schools, I beg to differ.

J works with me as an intern. He is a driven, self motivated young man, the kind who’s going places and inspires you to want to be around to witness his journey. He is also a public litterer. A fact I was made privy to less than an hour ago when on our way back to the office we stopped off at Shell Select Bugolobi so he could pick up sumthin to eat; he bought milk and something in a khaki bag.

You know how I found out what sort of wrapping his edible stuff came in? We were driving back to the office through Nakawa when just as we drove past the Business School, I saw a kaveera flutter forth from the environs of the front seat - I was majestically reclined in the back seat of a very long van – d custom Toyota Hiace type. Seeing as it (d kaveera) bore an uncanny resemblance to the one J had walked out of Shell Bugos with, I immediately thought to myself, “no, it cant be J! he’s much too … refined … for that!”, apparently not, because with a flourish and as I looked in stupefied silence, he finished the last of the sacheted UHT milk he was sucking on through a straw and ever so casually flung it out the window onto the road. In slow motion I watched as the empty sachet fluttered onto the road and disappeared under the wheels of the truck right behind us, cringing as I thought to myself, “we’re in a branded vehicle u … dimwit?”

I almost told him off but something held me back. I don’t rightly know what that was but this I know, if someone can dispose of litter in so public a fashion, in broad daylight, from the confines of a corporately branded vehicle, there’s no telling what they will do in the comforts of pitch darkness. And there we were crying foul when Nasser Ssebagala (sic) was elected Mayor mbu how can that villager be OUR mayor? Well, u know what, I’d rather have that villager as my mayor – because he’s been employing layabouts to clean the drains in my ‘hood Kisaasi over the last month, much improving the appearance of things – than “enlightened” people like J who litter publicly with no remorse or compunction.

So, which primary school did u go to?

9 Comments:

Blogger minty said...

Very disturbing. There are thousands of people like that contributing to the filth of Kampala daily - and the fact I'm complaining is no guarantee I'm not one of them.

Was much looking forward to finding out which primary school that J went to. I looked and looked again but it wasn't there. So, which was it?

Tue Aug 08, 06:24:00 pm  
Blogger Darlkom said...

I went to Kitante Primary School and, I believe, so did Jay. Please don't let his littering taint your image of us. We had dustbins situated all over the school so we don't litter. Which school did you go to?

Wed Aug 09, 08:20:00 am  
Blogger Cherie said...

Did he really go to primary school?
That is the difference between being "Educated" and being "Learned"!!!!!

Wed Aug 09, 10:57:00 am  
Blogger Zack said...

Ooops! That's where we all go bleepers... and to live with such a painful truth everyday that we got people that can never accept modernity in this world. U should-a told J off!!

Wed Aug 09, 07:26:00 pm  
Blogger Degstar said...

Just to clarify.
J is not d Jay we all know (and i assume at leat tolerate if not like/love/adore).

@Darl,
i went to Victoria Nile Pri. School and was mentored by D.H. Gawayya (R.I.P), the coolest Headmaster i have ever encountered - and they have been many.

Thu Aug 10, 08:51:00 am  
Blogger CountryBoyi said...

Deg, am unconfortable at the title of your post. Seems to hint that what J did is something that u'll have understood if J went to a very remote village school. Well, i've friends who cruise their parents' monster vehicles & have gone to the best schools around town, & have had their holidays in Europe but who do the kind of stuff worse than what J did. Well, i don't belong to the pack. And for the record, i went to Kigarama Primary School! I'll bet my father's bull that you never heard that before!!

Thu Aug 10, 07:37:00 pm  
Blogger Degstar said...

@D,
man i just want to try and understand why pple do shit like dat. it cant b family bkground cz we were all raised to b clean, it cant be environment - Kisenyi has really clean homes (inside) so is it Nature or Nurture

Fri Aug 11, 11:20:00 am  
Blogger Jay said...

Thanks deg for that clarification

One can blame it on background but sometimes its borne out of being inconsiderate and unbothered nature of the person in other aspects of life

Fri Aug 11, 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger savage said...

I went to the same primary school with Degstar and during break time, I could throw stones into the river Nile from class.

Sat Aug 12, 07:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home