Thursday, October 26, 2006

Damn.

Yesterday was the culmination of the last two weeks of hard work.

Client wanted a Symposium put together so I did everything, invited people from a list provided by the client, sent reminder Emails, booked the hotel, projecter, Refreshments, made handouts, did the banner, typed up all the briefs and put together all the meetings prior to and after the Symposium. Then went to the hotel bright and early yesterday morning to run the event.

And no one showed up. Not. One. Person.

I could point out that my client is unknown, two weeks was maybe not long enough, mybe sending Invites by email wasnt such a good idea afterall, there were two other UN related workshops going on at the same time in that hotel alone and most of our guests were from the NGO community, i could say we're achieving more from the one-on-one meetings we've been holding with different stakeholders and maybe - with the benefit of hindsight - we shoulda done that instead. i could also point out, and rightly, that the yearly Consultative Reviews of the Education & Health sectors are going on and so the NGO people are too busy making sure we spend their dollars and euros bulungi and the govt/project people are also ensuring their livelihoods are still intact, to come for a ka half day Symposium hosted by an unknown company, however brlliant it's solutions.

i could say all of that, yes, but the fact remains.

Not one person showed up.

"Nigga, it's hard out here for a pimp!"
Terence Howard from the movie "Hustle & Flow"

13 Comments:

Blogger joshi said...

wat!!not one person showed up!!u need to employ the services of donald semambo,my personal chief whip(actually my new alter ego),from my kiboko series!!

Thu Oct 26, 03:57:00 pm  
Blogger Kenyanchick said...

Whoa, damn, Degs. What the hell did you do when nobody showed up? And, most importantly, did the client pay you...?

Please have a stiff drink on me this weekend. I'll let you know when I'm in the neighbourhood, since I must have a Rolex on you.

Fri Oct 27, 09:03:00 am  
Blogger Iwaya said...

do you still have the client? this is not my idea of living and loving it in the private sector at all!

Fri Oct 27, 12:17:00 pm  
Blogger Darlkom said...

You should have put out an open invite to the blogosphere, I would have showed. :) Muchos sorry.
Loved Hustle & Flow.

Fri Oct 27, 12:52:00 pm  
Blogger The 0ne said...

You're...you're a pimp?

I'm a hustla.nigga ax about me..Sorry m8!

Fri Oct 27, 07:43:00 pm  
Blogger Savage-No, I didn't quit said...

Setbacks like that only make you stronger

Sat Oct 28, 01:13:00 am  
Anonymous Caramel said...

Thats how we all start out! Minor negative...push on!

Mon Oct 30, 03:05:00 pm  
Blogger scotchbiscuits said...

look on the bright side. It wasn't your birthday get together. Thats the one I would take personally!
plus, i think they were as intimidated by snyposium..that word as I am. scary word. does it mean a get together of and by folks who do NGO type things?

Tue Oct 31, 02:13:00 am  
Blogger minty said...

Man, that's tight. I don't know what to say, except pray that it's the last time something like that happens.

Tue Oct 31, 07:07:00 pm  
Blogger Iwaya said...

damn, will we ever have another update?

Thu Nov 02, 11:01:00 am  
Anonymous baz said...

Dude, I thought you left The Suck to do something cool like start a modelling agency or a recording studio or the Police. You are organising symposiums? Talk about the frying pan and the fire.

Thu Nov 02, 12:53:00 pm  
Blogger Degstar said...

@Baz,
they came to me. out of i s'ppose boredom i accepted.

@Scotch,
yeah, dats right

@KC,
i'm saving d stiff drink for when i'll really need it, the subject of my latest post.

I. am. stronger y'all.
mwebaale nnyo.

Thu Nov 02, 04:09:00 pm  
Blogger lissingmink said...

eish man!!!... you will laugh at it one day- non?

Mon Nov 13, 09:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home