Thursday, November 02, 2006

& then there were 3

After 7 years we're all together again.

Frog is still the acerbic analyst with d writing problem, Busta is still the rabid economist with a soft spot for politics and I’m still … well, I’m still me. Frog doesn’t like hypocrites, Busta don’t like potholes and I don’t like the provincial town we call a city.

we were last together on the hung over morning – after a drunken night of saying bye during which Busta fell over backwards in his chair and continued making a point with his finger raised for emphasis looking 4 all the world like it was the most normal thing to be speaking while lying on his back in his chair - when we dropped Busta off at Entebbe airport for his flight to the US of A where he was going to seek his fortune and fame. Frog was going to become the next V.S. Naipaul with a dash of Ernest Hemingway and I was going to become an accountant with PwC. Frog was skinny and scholarly, Busta a shortish/stoutish dude with a slight limp and I was the tallest and ever so gracefully slender. None of us had girlfriends, kids or cares but as far as I can remember, none of us were complaining, or virgins for that matter.

College came and went, yeah well, almost went. I took a gap year after 3rd year, Busta took one as well and Frog changed course from writing to business, underneath the official reasons I just knew we were all bored with tutorials from people who did not share our ideal view of the world as it should and could be, teachers who taught that which they had not practiced, we just wanted to get out and start living already. so we then threw our collective energies into other pursuits; Busta left Texas and moved to Cali to work and make benjamins, I did a stint with church ministry and when that started ministering to everyone else but me - private issues with God - I chucked it all in, grew my hair and left for a stint at Kyeyo in the UK. Frog, to his credit stayed close to God, and his eternal passion - writing - going on to write for every major newspaper in the land and wind up editing at two of them, a fact I let him know I was madly envious of at every turn. He also read pretty much every book there was to read except maybe for the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

meanwhile, I returned to Ug, weighed my options and decided to learn the PR game so I cut my hair, went to the foremost firm in the country and talked them into giving me a job, to the chagrin of my mother who eternally preaches the "go to school, get a good degree and the rest will be ok afterwards" gospel. I wasn’t buying that and neither was Busta who had gained quite a few pounds, grown an impressive set of corn rows and developed a proper Texan drawl. Imagine that, he had to move to Cali to start speaking like a Texan.

In between leaving the country and returning, twice, I managed to lose the first serious-as-a-heart-attack girlfriend I ever had, going on to sow a few wild oats while mastering the art of corporate doublespeak and client ass smooching. I quit going to church and developed one of those “relationships” with God, y’know the kind; where when nice girls ask u if you’re saved, u respond, “I have a relationship with God”, one which in my case consisted mostly of me asking and him giving. Or not. As he saw fit. Mostly not. Frog, the sneaky bugger, had meanwhile met a rather lovely young lady and was - in his quiet methodically effective way – going about courting her. While I was pouring my heart out to him over the latest daughter of Jezebel – believe u me, those were not daughters of Eve – to smite my heart, he would sit there with a faraway look on his face and a half smile playing about his lips. He knew all along that he was the lucky one didn’t he?

Then 25 came round and I had a mid-mid life crisis. I was still unmarried, had no kids – or prospects – no house, no car and certainly no big shaggy dog. Busta also came clean, shit was bugging him, he was missing Ug; College, working and Cali were bagging the hell outta him. Simple, we answered, come and see us. Frog on the other hand was mum, little did we know.

A few months ago, he came clean. He’d gone down on one knee and she’d said yes. Damn. Double damn. He asked me to be bestman, with tears of joy – shed in the privacy of a Uganda Wa inspired funk – I accepted and we immediately SMSed Busta. His response, “WTF! Is she pregnant?” no dude, they’re in love, “whatever, I’m all about the booty!” yes, dude we know, we still remember the trip to Mombasa after S.6 finals, the one with everyone from Hannington – Busta and my dorm, Frog was in Nadiope - and … sorry, I’m sworn never to speak of that trip ever.

So enter a new phase.

I quit smoking, bingeing, started going to church again, made some new friends online – u guys – and to prepare for my new found responsibilities got involved in the wedding preparations for Charity & Myke during which I re-made the acquaintance of a beautiful young lady who I last remembered as the best friend of Charity’s younger sister. That beautiful young lady is now my girlfriend; yesterday was our 1 month anniversary. Then Busta announced he was coming down for the wedding so we shifted the date to accommodate him – that’s the official version of events.

Meanwhile Frog and I both quit the corporate rat race to sink or swim on our own. In his case he’d read my entire collection of Robert Kiyosaki books and found his inspiration therein. In my case – irrespective of whatever I told y’all before - I’d read Gabriel Garcia Marquez’ “100 days of Solitude” and recognised a kindred spirit, a harkening back to the days when all I needed to be happy was – not the house, car, big screen TV and big hairy dog – but just a good book and my unfettered imagination. Busta had by now moved back to Texas and a new job in one of those fancy ass restaurants.

Wedding meetings were subsequently organised and held, tough business I tell you ela next time u get a text message inviting you to one, please go, u will soon be the one sending out those text messages and wishing peeps wont just hit “delete” and keep quiet. By the way, the last one is next week Tuesday at 5:30 pm, if any of y’all would like to come, holla and I’ll tell you where. Bring along like a ka polite 20k. or 30. or 80. as the Good Lord leads you.

Busta meanwhile set off on a round the continents trip to get here in time, spending a few days in London with his sisters and a bunch of guys we went to school with. From the pictures I’ve seen, only Frog and I have remained our skinny selves, everyone else – even the ones here – is heavier by a coupla pounds man! He called on Tuesday to say he’d be here in 35 hours so I figured, ok, Thursday morning then bright and early Wednesday my phone rings – 078 number - and I answer with my best PR firm answer, “Degstar speaking, how may I help you”- y’know, only for a drawl to hit me with, “wssup nigga, u still sleeping?” Busta was here.

I was happy. For a myriad number of reasons. So last night they all crashed at my crib. And after the endless conversation late into the night, I thought to myself how so much had changed and yet so little had changed. Busta is bigger than both Frog and I, he still limps – though you’d have to know it to see it – and straight off the plane he was talking mortgages, property values and shit. Then he started wading in on Kananathan and Tristar and the – what was it? 20Bn of our tax schillings that got flushed? – At which point we asked him if he’d brought a kanzu for the kuhingira this weekend. Frog will shortly, after the wedding, be starting a new job as editor at a business oriented paper and did I mention he’s getting married? Oh I did, ok. Me, I sit here in my cubby-hole office and post blogs about other people’s lives. And I’m going back to MuK to get my degree so my mother can hold her head up in polite society. Now Peter my office mate has lit up a fag and I so badly want one but I promised myself I wouldn’t … oh damn, I need a stiff drink.

Its easy to say 7 years and think “damn, so long”, but when you think in terms of days, months, lost loves, dashed dreams, lessons learnt, personal successes, family tragedies and family celebrations, number of nephews and nieces born, d time Jajja almost died, Mum’s operation, dead classmates, classmates with kids, number of mugs of late-working-night coffee drunk, number of times finger nails have been chewed to the quick, number of forwards deleted from yahoo inbox, deadlines met & not met, past sexual partners, books read, pairs of shoes bought, used and discarded, fashions come and gone, number of blue shirts worn, it really aint that long.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure,
It is our light not our darkness that frightens us …

… As we let our light shine, we unconsciously
Give others permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fears,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson as quoted by Nelson Mandela in his Inauguration Speech.

It has been 7 years.

Listening to; Oliver “Tuku” Mtukudzi: Ndakuvara, as well as the rest of the album.

21 Comments:

Blogger joshi said...

damn...this has straight blown my mind away!!!

Thu Nov 02, 03:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Cherie said...

Eh Degstar, u write beautifully!
Good for Frog...Myke and Charity.
And good for u and yo gal. Happy monthiversary!

Ok now muna, help me with the gmail thing...how do I get a google account?

Thu Nov 02, 05:01:00 pm  
Blogger Iwaya said...

I'm tired of commenting 'the best post ever,' me i'm just going to content myself with rubbing these tears out of my eyes.

Frog, hell or sunshine, i will be there. somehow.

Thu Nov 02, 07:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Mr. Magoo said...

Degstar, did you know that Busta has "one footstep"? As in only one foot of his makes sound the other is very silent.

Thu Nov 02, 10:39:00 pm  
Blogger Kenyanchick said...

One Hundred Years of Solitude. Best. Book. Ever. You must read his autobiography (Living to tell the tale). I love that man in a totally manic and unreasonable way.

So, when you write The Great Ugandan Novel (and you will, Degs, trust me) you'll have to give your blog pals their own copies. Deal?

Fri Nov 03, 09:06:00 am  
Blogger Degstar said...

@Josh,
coming 4rm u, dats a compliment par excellence

@Cherie,
send me ur email address, pref. 1 dts not yahoo based, my IM address is in d profile

@Iwa,
ssala zamwe!
stand warned there will be askaris @ d door - Baz, wafunye overall? - bt 4 like 2k, i know where d back door is ...

@Mr. Magoo,
firstly, love the name.
secondly, man u're so rite! Busta walking sounds like clomp, silence, clomp, silence, clomp ...

@KC,
4 u, anything. anytime. anywhere.

Fri Nov 03, 10:54:00 am  
Blogger Darlkom said...

Wow, Deg, you have outdone yourself this time. I love it and I love it and I love it some more.

Fri Nov 03, 01:08:00 pm  
Blogger Iwaya said...

ever the spoiler, i have been wondering now that you guys have hit the one month anniversary, don't you think its about time you told the girlfriend that you expect her to kneel while serving you and boil that hot water for a bath in the home? gotcha!!!!

Sun Nov 05, 05:52:00 pm  
Blogger Degstar said...

Iwaya,
we dont cohabit so her heating water for my bath isnt an option. and before u ask, no we dont, we r abstaining.

Mon Nov 06, 11:40:00 am  
Blogger Klara said...

I was captivated, honesty I was intriqued..Are u a writer?

Mon Nov 06, 04:32:00 pm  
Blogger Itchie Geezy said...

i usually love that kind of reminiscing,i mean it feels good to make that kind of a come-back.
nice blog!

Mon Nov 06, 05:26:00 pm  
Blogger Zack said...

Josh recommended me this read and it's certainly lived up to the superb recommendation. I wonder why I hadn't linked you up to mine before -I'mma, now, if u don't mind!

Mon Nov 06, 06:29:00 pm  
Blogger Lovely Amphibian said...

@mr.magoo: dude, who are you? how come you know Busta?

Mon Nov 06, 09:57:00 pm  
Blogger Lovely Amphibian said...

@degstar: dude, u are just in your own league. i wish Busta would read this.

Mon Nov 06, 10:00:00 pm  
Blogger scotchbiscuits said...

aww...first off, it's oh so nice how 'we guys' are officially your friends.
the sweetest part is that when you win some fancy prize for kickass writing(such as this post) I can brag and say you are my friend and you can't deny..seeing as we have it in writting. yay!
and then...ditto. about the good book and unfettered imagination.

two thumbs up for the post!!

Tue Nov 07, 01:10:00 am  
Blogger Jay said...

Thats some deep stuff.

Here I was thinking that that greatest fear speech was made by the kid with the afro in coach carter.

Damn I should start reading books more often the net done fried my brain.

Tue Nov 07, 02:44:00 pm  
Blogger jkb said...

I agree this post is in its own class Deg, keep 'em flowing.

Tue Nov 07, 07:42:00 pm  
Blogger Iwaya said...

Degz, eventually you will live together and THEN WHAT? is this when the little matter will come up? i wonder how you're going to pull it off when she's had you wrapped around her little finger for so long!

Thu Nov 09, 03:11:00 pm  
Blogger Cherie said...

@Iwaya, don't scare Degstar! Let him find this all out on his own. And in so doin, u're scaring all these dudes up in here.

Have u been there, done that?

@Degstar...niiice of u to usher us into yo circle of friends!

Thu Nov 09, 04:28:00 pm  
Blogger lissingmink said...

this is just too deep

love the drunken point being made with a wagging finger.

eeeow...one month anniversary- the "i love you more munchkins" stage- fine i be jealous; deal with it!

i feel you about mum holding up her head in society coz of a degree- i have to do a masters to have that... honestly, isnt there any other unit of measurement?!

luvly blogging

Mon Nov 13, 09:41:00 pm  
Blogger Dante said...

oh my. this is a very very small teeny tiny world. I know you! Courtesy of the Charity-Myke mention

Wed Nov 22, 03:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home