Monday, March 19, 2007

Memoirs of a Brick Layer

A couple weeks ago, last but one to be exact I woke up bright and early on Monday morning and purposed to change my life. I wanted to get rid of the pretentious self absorbed nihilist that I had become and become a compassionate world peace loving tree hugging do-gooder. I wanted to be one of the good guys, the ones that Pastor Joshua waves at when he’s bumping through the potholes of Kisaasi on his way to KPC North.

So I got out of bed at 7am, a recent record for me, donned my Bluenote jeans and tired trainers and went to my new found purpose in life. I had discovered my calling, I had found my nirvana n adhere I was on my way to embrace my destiny; here I was on my way to my new calling, as a muzimbi! Carlo poppet, that means the guy who works on a construction site. No, not the kind who wears a hardhut, Timberland boots and a high visibility jacket, the other kind, the one who wears next to nothing, walks around barefooted (or in car tyre sandals at best) and looks like a cross between the tribal dancers from MJ’s Black or White video and a lounger from Kireka. Kireka, hmmph, aint that where Baz lives?

We have finally scrounged, scrimped, cheated on our taxes, water and elec bills and gone without the Nokia N80, shots at O’Leary’s, new clothes, fries from I Feel Like Chicken Tonight, 6 monthly dental appointments, Mamba Point dinners (ok, scratch this) and most importantly, daily Rolexes, to save up enough money to, finally, start building. It has been a long hard road and it just got started. So to celebrate the fact as well as to ensure that there would be no fowls meeting an early demise in the environs of my would be home I took it upon myself to participate in the festivities on the opening day of building season.

It was kinda hard at first when I arrived ku site and changed into my work clothes, kinda hard when the other even more scruffily dressed bazimbi are calling you Ssebo in respectful tones and then sending you to the corner of the plot that’s overgrown with weeds, grass and such not to extricate the bricks lying underneath all of that undergrowth. My job was to provide customised solutions to the real bricklayers whilst leveraging their vertical growth objectives with the prevailing market driven horizontal conditions. In plain speak, I unearthed bricks and carried them to the vicinity of the dugout foundation whereupon the other guys used them to put the foundation together.

And so for the last few weeks I have been a builder. We are now at the roofing stage and it has been fun all the way through; for the other guys really. After the first day I decided to get out of the way and let the professionals do their job whilst I resigned myself to doing the menial jobs like fetching water for mixing the sand and cement, cigarettes, chapattis for tea, the occasional trowel and of course, ferrying dozens of bricks from the edge of the site to the builder who needed them most at that particular moment.
My CV now has, in addition in addition to my shelf stocking, bar man and bingo hall attendant roles, my newly found calling as a builder. Forget Bob the Builder, we’re rolling with Degstar the Digger. At any rate I take comfort in the fact that I was the most colourfully dressed muzimbi, in my neon blue gym shorts and lime green t-shirt with black sleeves.

3 Comments:

Blogger joshi said...

LMAOPIMP..so this is wat u have been doing the whole time!!!!Interesting stuff, i wish i was in uganda..man the construction sites here are boring!!

Tue Mar 20, 12:34:00 am  
Blogger Iwaya said...

you're building? you're forgiven then. kati, can i come for some tips sometime? you never know when a guy may need this infor!

Wed Mar 21, 04:57:00 pm  
Blogger QueenB said...

wil be back caught me by surprise i mean the so many posts thats the spirit i gess who ever goes for so long should do that lol

Fri Mar 23, 06:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home